Skip to main content

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins-Teen

Rating: 5/5 Stars


About the Book: Katniss Everdeen lives in a future where Panem is controlled by The Capitol. Each year, the 12 districts of Panem send two tributes to fight in the Hunger Games and the games will be televised and watched by everyone. The tributes must fight to the death and the last one standing wins fame, glory, money and food. When Katniss's little sister is chosen as District 12's tribute, she knows there's no way she can let her sister go so she steps in and takes her place. Now she has to survive and bring back a win for District 12 who's only ever had one winner of the Hunger Games ever. Then there's Peeta, the other District 12 tribute, who has won the audience over by claiming to be in love with Katniss. Is he telling the truth or just playing a game? And can Katniss somehow outsmart the other tributes? Only one can end up winning.

GreenBeanTeenQueen Says: I had been hearing a lot of buzz about this book. I've read and reviewed Gregor the Overlander and enjoyed that book, so I was eager to read another book by that author. I was a little wary of story line (think Survivor meets Gladiator) and was afraid it would be too violent for sensitive little me.
I was very surprised and Hunger Games is easily one of the best books I've read this year! It's a fast paced story and full of action and even some romance. Despite the plot, the story wasn't as gruesome as I feared and was handled and written very well.
The story was hard to put down and I found myself thinking about it when I wasn't reading it. This is and addictive read and the first in a trilogy. Now I'm stuck here eagerly waiting for book two and it can't come fast enough!!!

Comments

  1. I'm getting this one for Christmas! I cant wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently discovered your blog and am happy I did. I have seen many people reading this at my junior high and have gone back and forth trying to decide if I want to read it. If it doesn't really sound good to me will it still draw my attention if I start it?

    Check out my blog: sophiesbooknook.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sophie-

    I didn't really think this book sounded interesting and I had to stick with it for a few chapters, but once I got into it I really enjoyed it. I'd give a try and see if you like it-and you might have to give it several pages before the action really picks up. I hope you like it-I think it's a great series and has a little bit of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The action moves well and the characters are well described. I enjoyed the unusual action and background for the events that took place. The unique twists and turns keep you reading and not wanting to put it down.
    suggested Bankruptcy Minnesota Collaborative Services, view website...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other readers! Share your thoughts and chime in!

Popular posts from this blog

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

Rating: 5/5 Stars Genre: Realistic Fiction Release Date: 2/26/2013 Add to Goodreads About the Book: Eleanor and Park are both misfits. When new girl Eleanor sits next to Park on the bus, they don't want anything to do with each other. But over the course of the school year, things change. It starts with comic books and becomes a friendship and a romance that the two will never forget. You never forget your first love. GreenBeanTeenQueen Says: Have you ever had a book sit on your shelf that you've heard so much hype about? And you think that books sounds like it would be right up your alley, but you're in a reading slump and you're afraid to give it a try unless it fails? I knew Eleanor and Park sounded like my perfect book, but I was in such an after committee slump that I even though I knew this book would help, I just didn't want to be disappointed. I should have known better because Eleanor and Park was perfect and everything that I had hoped it wou

Contact Me

  I love to hear from fellow readers and librarians! Send me an email to say hello! You can reach me at greenbeanteenqueen (at) gmail (dot) com

Post Downton Abbey Reading List

Downton Abbey is over (with a shocking and frustrating ending!) and now I'm suffering Downton Abbey withdrawal. I've got a reading list full of books that I hope will satisfy my post-Downton Abbey cravings and I thought I'd share what's in my pile and get suggestions for other after Downton reads. Here's what I hope to be reading this year (a mix of YA and adult titles):                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  A couple Julian Fellowes reads:                And a few re-reads:                    Edited to add: What's on your Post-Downton Abbey reading list?